This page has been last updated on 18 May, 2017 and contains :
(I) General information about KOAN Law Firm ( sections 1-2);
(II) Terms and conditions applicable on the use of the website www.koan.law ( section 3);
(III) Terms and conditions applicable on KOAN Law Firm's legal services (section 4);
(V) General provisions (sections 10-11).
I. GENERAL INFORMATION ON KOAN
1. Company details
KOAN Law Firm CVBA/SCRL is a cooperative company with limited liability, organized and existing under Belgian law (hereinafter “KOAN Law Firm”).
KOAN Law Firm has its registered office at Terhulpsesteenweg/Chaussée de la Hulpe, 166 in B-1170 Brussels, Belgium.
KOAN Law Firm operates under the VAT number BE 0654.768.707 and is registered with the Belgian Crossroads Bank of Enterprises under number 0654.768.707.
KOAN Law Firm can be contacted at:
Ch. de la Hulpe 166 Terhulpsesteenweg
Tel: +32 2 566 90 00
e-mail: [email protected]
2. Bar Admissions
The lawyers of KOAN Law Firm are registered with the Brussels Bar (Belgium) and/or the Paris Bar (France) and/or the Senior Courts of England & Wales (UK).
The professional rules of conduct applicable to KOAN Law Firm’s lawyers can be consulted via:
- www.baliebrussel.be (Brussels Bar Dutch version);
- www.barreaudebruxelles.be (Brussels Bar French version);
- http://codedeonto.avocatparis.org/presentation (Paris);
- http://sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/code/content.page (UK)
II. TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE ON THE USE OF THE WEBSITE.
3. Use of the website www.koan.law
3.1. General information
The website www.koan.law contains general information about KOAN Law Firm.
Although KOAN Law Firm regularly updates the content of its website, it may not always reflect the most recent legal developments, legislation or case-law.
None of the content may be considered as legal advice, legal opinion or any form of legal assistance and KOAN Law Firm will not accept any liability in this respect. You should consult a qualified legal expert before making decisions and/or taking actions that may affect your business or any other professional or personal interests you may have.
Inclusion of third-party content or links to other sites do not imply a recommendation or endorsement of any kind.
KOAN Law Firm cannot be held liable for any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.
KOAN Law Firm holds all copyrights on the design and contents of the website www.koan.law. Any reproduction, in whole or in part, of the KOAN Law Firm website or its contents in whatever form, including photocopy, photography, microfilm, magnetic strip, disc or other electronic means, other than for personal, non-commercial use, is prohibited without the prior written approval of KOAN Law Firm. Permission to reproduce parts of the content of this website for individual use does not extend to the incorporation of the material in any work or publication, whether in hard copy, electronic or any other form. Should you wish to use content of this website, please contact [email protected].
III. TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE ON LEGAL SERVICES
4. Client - attorney relationship
4.1. Legal Services
KOAN Law firm’s legal services are governed by specific terms and conditions which will made available to the (prospective) client in an engagement statement/letter on or prior to delivering the specific required services.
KOAN Law Firm considers the (prospective) client’s mere instructions to proceed as including his/her/its implicit agreement with the present General Terms and Conditions and the specific terms and conditions provided in the engagement statement/letter.
In the event of contradiction between any of the provisions in the present General Terms and Conditions and any of those provided for in the engagement statement/letter, the latter will prevail.
4.2.1. Information submitted to KOAN Law Firm by - or in relation to - clients or prospective clients within the context of a professional relationship, fall within the scope of legal privilege.
KOAN Law firm takes all measures and precautions at hand to keep confidential information at all times strictly confidential and shall not disclose such information, except if:
- The disclosure is permitted by the client;
- The information is already in the public domain;
- The disclosure is done to another law firm collaborating with KOAN Law firm in the context of a mission, to any of the client’s appointed advisors and in general to any other consultant, advisor or any other third party of whom KOAN Law firm deems the assistance or intervention necessary or relevant for the good performance of its obligations in the context of its mission;
- The disclosure is imposed by applicable laws and/or professional rules of conduct. Please note in this respect that anti-money laundering legislation and professional conduct rules impose on KOAN Law Firm a strict obligation to obtain adequate and sufficiently detailed information about the (prospective) client’s identity, respectively the ultimate beneficial owners of a corporate client, as well as about the origin of any funds that are - or are intended to be - transferred in the framework of any matter in which KOAN Law Firm provides legal assistance. KOAN Law Firm is obliged to immediately report any indication or suspicion of any money laundering operation and/or of any financial operation in relation to terrorist activities with full disclosure of the relevant elements including the (prospective) client’s identity and - if the case may be - that of its ultimate beneficial owners.
4.2.2. KOAN Law Firm provides in up-to-date protective measures to keep confidential data as safe and secure as possible and to protect them against loss, unauthorized disclosure or access. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet and/or any electronic means is not completely secure. Although KOAN Law Firm does its best to protect confidential data, it cannot guarantee the security of these data transmitted by the internet and/or any electronic means and KOAN Law Firm can not be held accountable or liable for any theft, loss or unauthorized use.
4.2.3. Unless specifically agreed to the contrary with the client and only to the extent permitted by law, his/her name or its corporate name, brands and logos are not considered as confidential and may be used by KOAN Law Firm for its own marketing purposes.
5. Privacy statement
KOAN Law Firm commits to keep any data it receives related to the identity and personal life of a natural person (“Personal Data”) confidential in the same way and under the same conditions and restrictions as set out in Section 4.2 of the General Terms and Conditions.
KOAN Law Firm also commits in this respect to collect and/or process any Personal Data in strict compliance with applicable privacy legislation as set out hereunder.
6. Processing of Personal Data through the website
KOAN Law firm does not collect and/or process any Personal Data through the website.
KOAN Law Firm’s website may provide referrals - including hyperlinks - to websites of third parties and/or social media. KOAN Law Firm cannot be held accountable or liable for any processing of Personal Data via these websites or social media.
7. Processing of Personal Data in the framework of a professional relationship
KOAN Law firm will process any Personal Data it would receive in the context of its professional relationship with any (prospective) client or any other third party in full compliance with EU and Belgian applicable privacy legislation, i.e. the Belgian Privacy Act (Act of 8 December on the protection in relation to the processing of personal data ) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ( Regulation (EU) 2016/79) as of its implementation on 25 May, 2018.
KOAN Law Firm will only collect Personal Data which are strictly necessary to achieve the purposes for which the Personal Data have been collected.
KOAN Law Firm will not keep Personal Data any longer as needed for achieving the purposes for which the Personal Data have been collected or obtained , except if it is obliged to do so by law and/or professional rules of conduct. KOAN Law Firm has in this respect a professional duty to store any relevant data (including Personal Data) it has received in the context of a matter or mission in which it performed legal services for a term of at least five years following the date on which the relevant mission has been terminated.
KOAN Law Firm uses up-to-date industry procedures to keep Personal Data safe and secure as set out in Section 4.2.2.
8. Explicit Consent
By instructing a lawyer of KOAN Law Firm or requiring information about KOAN Law firm’s legal services, the (prospective) client or its representative(s) hereby give(s) his/her/their explicit consent to KOAN Law Firm:
- To transfer his/her Personal Data to third parties if it considers this necessary for the good performance of the requested services by the client or for answering to the prospective client’s specific requests for information on KOAN Law Firm’s services.
- Third party transfers typically include transfers to other law firms, to technical, financial or other consultants and to any third party whose intervention is considered necessary or relevant.
- KOAN Law Firm may in this context transfer Personal Data to countries and regions outside the European Economic Area with or without data protection rules similar to those applicable in the European Union. KOAN Law Firm shall, to the extent possible, seek guarantees from the relevant third party with regards to adequate protection and security of the Personal Data it receives from KOAN Law Firm.
- To keep the (prospective) client informed about data and updates, which KOAN Law Firm may consider relevant or interesting for the (prospective) client’s activities as well as of KOAN Law Firm’s activities, events, seminars, services newsletters and any other information related to KOAN Law Firm or its lawyers, by normal post and/or by e-mail to the professional postal/respectively email addresses of the (prospective) client or its representatives, as well as via professional reputable internet platforms, such as LinkedIn and similar platforms.
9. Access to Personal Data
Any person who has submitted Personal Data about him/herself to KOAN Law Firm may at any time request to access, verify, amend or delete his/her Personal Data or parts of it.
The request can be made by sending an e-mail to [email protected] and KOAN Law Firm will respond as soon as possible to the request.
V. GENERAL PROVISIONS
11. Governing law and jurisdiction
To the extent permitted by law, the present General Terms and Conditions are governed by Belgian Law only and the courts of Brussels will have sole jurisdiction in relation to any dispute regarding these General Terms and Conditions.
Copyright © 2017 – All Rights Reserved.