We provide guidance to our clients on a variety of competition issues that arise in their daily business affairs. We have strong experience in counseling as to what is the appropriate behavioral response under EU, Belgian and French Competition Law, for primary industries (automotive, cable), service industries (media, telecommunications and technology, retail, fashion, banks, sports) and trade associations. KOAN’s practice includes design of compliance programs, assistance in investigations by competition authorities, complaints and litigation before Belgian, French and EU courts. Supported by Retail practice specialists, we also assist our clients in the structuring of commercial transactions, including joint selling or purchasing agreements, co-marketing agreements, distribution agreements and licensing agreements for intellectual property.
The team is particularly renowned for its State Aid’s practice, which includes:
- advising investors in the structuring of complex transactions involving public intervention;
- conducting due diligence prior to the acquisition of companies in case of suspicion of unlawful aid and drafting contractual documents responding to potential State aid issues;
- assisting public authorities in structuring State aid schemes and drafting notifications, assisting and representing them before the European Commission, as well as in their relations with their own Member State;
- assisting companies in drafting complaints as well as in submitting comments to the European Commission in the event of the opening of a formal investigation;
- representing State aid beneficiaries before the European Commission and before national jurisdictions;
- representing complainants as well as State aid beneficiaries before the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
The team members lecture on EU Competition Law at the Free University of Brussels and are authors of many scientific publications.